COVID-19 RESPONSE – RUNNING ONLINE MEETINGS
The evolving coronavirus pandemic and subsequent changes to the way clubs are operating mean organisations need to look at new ways to stay in touch. Committee meetings, members’ forums and general meetings can still happen using online platforms instead of traditional face-to-face meetings.
Your club may already be using Facebook to keep members updated and tools such as G Suite for Non-Profits for your email and cloud storage. Did you know you can also use Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Skype or Zoom (and plenty of others!) for group chats and video conferencing?
If your organisation doesn’t already use an online platform, tools like Microsoft Teams and Zoho Remotely are offering extended free trial periods to help your club make the move to an online solution. Committee meetings can be held regularly using such technology, even when the pandemic passes.
As long as all attendees can hear and take part in discussion and debate, a committee meeting held using technology typically constitutes a properly-held meeting.
Here are some tips to making the most of online meeting platforms:
- Use a headset with a microphone if you can, as the sound quality is usually much better for others in the meeting
- Turn on your camera! We don’t mind how you look without makeup. It makes a big difference to a sense of connectedness if everyone can see who is in the online meeting with you and makes it easier to see who may be trying to have a say
- When you’re not speaking, mute your microphone so that background noise is kept to a minimum. This is particularly important when there are lots of people in the meeting
- Follow the usual meeting procedure even though you are meeting remotely. This includes being well prepared for the meeting and starting and finishing on time. Check out the meeting videos and resources below for more information
- Summarise regularly during the meeting to make sure that everyone understands what decisions are being made
- Enjoy the quick trip home after the meeting!