What is a Near Miss?
A near miss is an unplanned event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage – but had the potential to do so. Only a fortunate break in the chain of events prevented an injury, fatality or damage.
What do I need to do if there is a Near Miss at my event?
When a near miss occurs to anyone on site of a Club-run event or activity, you must follow the procedure documented below:
- Rectify the situation that caused the near miss.
- For example if the near miss was a trip hazard – remove the trip hazard!
- Inform staff in the venue, and your club exec.
- Document the Near Miss using the Near Miss Reporting Form
- Consider what action/s you need to take to ensure that the near miss doesn’t become an accident in the future, and update your Risk Register.
- Implement these actions.
- If the event is in a UCSA venue, please submit the near miss form to the UCSA. If it was offsite, submit it to the venue. In all cases, keep a record of it for the future.